MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Performance Tuning Tools
Posted by: Robert Jackson
Date: January 09, 2013 04:29AM

Hello,

I am new to MySQL but I am an Oracle DBA so am familiar with the concepts of how a relational database works. I assume that the fundamentals from Oracle are also present in MySQL, such as a shared database cache, private sorting areas for users who sort data, a SQL area of parsed statements for re-use, etc, etc. If I'm wrong, let me know and I will obviously need to read the mySQL concepts guide to get my bearings, unless anyone can give me a quick overview of the major differences between how MySQL and Oracle work?

My reason for posting is that I have a Wordpress site with MySQL as the backend and I'd really like to have a look under the covers and see what are the slowest parts of the system in order to see if some tweaking would help. It's a hosted DB so I'm not even sure if I owuld be able to access it at a low enough level?

In Oracle I would use the Automatic Workload Repository (AWR) to look at performance over a period of time, identify any bottlenecks at a DB level and see the worst performing SQL queries. Is there an equivalent in MySQL?

What advice would you give me in having a look at this in more detail, such as good docs to read or some advice from someone who uses it day-to-day?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Performance Tuning Tools
January 09, 2013 04:29AM
January 10, 2013 09:08PM
January 18, 2013 03:52AM
January 19, 2013 02:22PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.