MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Hardware Upgrading - Which is more important?
Posted by: Glenn Schworak
Date: April 19, 2018 03:33PM

Hello, I have been running MySQL for a while now on a 6 core system with 32gig of ram and 2 hard drives runing in RAID 1 configuration.

It works fine but I want better performance so I am building a new system and would like a little input.

I am for sure increasing the clock speed and also switching from a 2 drive raid 1 system to an 8 drive raid 10 system to get more read/write through put. Drives are about the same speed.

What do you think is more important for over all heavy read / heavy write data processing where I get millions of reads per day and tens of thousands of writes per day....

more ram (kicking up to 64gig but dropping down to a 4 core processor) or staying at 32gig or ram but kicking up to an 8 or 10 core processor?

I am really having a hard time figuring out which is more important and at the moment I can only afford to do one. The one nice part about more cores now with same ram is that I can add more ram later. I can't easily add more cores without tossing the existing CPU. So I am leaning to more cores.

And on the question of cores, would I see much improvement going from 6 to 8 if nothing else in the system changed? How about 10 or more? I guess I am asking, does adding cores really improve the overall performance of MySQL or is RAM a much bigger factor?

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Hardware Upgrading - Which is more important?
April 19, 2018 03:33PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.