MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Performance

Re: mysql client does not return rows right away on large result set
Posted by: Bobby Durrett
Date: June 01, 2018 09:40AM

The -q option is significantly faster. I got about 1 minute and a half and a minute 17 seconds on 2 runs and over 6 minutes without. I had tried -q and -n before but neither cause the mysql client to behave exactly like sqlplus on Oracle.

The reason this is interesting to me is that I work with developers and DBAs who have a lot of experience with Oracle and are now using MySQL. So, I am trying to understand differences that I see. In Oracle query tuning you could run a query that returns many rows to see how long it processes the query before returning the first row. It could be that with MySQL you don't have long periods of time processing the data before the first row is returned because MySQL works differently from Oracle; I don't know.

I guess I'm going to assume that you can't reproduce the Oracle sqlplus behavior with the mysql client. I was able to reproduce the Oracle behavior with a simple Python script so that is a viable workaround.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: mysql client does not return rows right away on large result set
June 01, 2018 09:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.