Re: Implementing distance matrix 2500 X 2500
Posted by: STARYNKEVITCH Basile
Date: December 14, 2004 08:20AM

Felix John wrote:
>
> According to you the table might look something
> like this having 6250000 rows ( 2500 * 2500 ),
> 1) Will a query like find all y where x == 1 and
> Distance == 3 scan all the 6250000 rows ?????.

Definitely not, provided that the table has suitable indexes. These are essential for performance.

>
> 2) Is it efficient to split this (2500 * 2500 = 6250000 rows) table into 2500 seperate tables of 2500 rows each ?????.

I don't know, but I don't think so; my intuition is that each table becomes a few files, so reading a table out of 2500 requires reading a file in a directory of about 3*2500 files, which is expensive (Ext3 directories scan are usually O(n) where n is the directory size.. The best way to be sure is to experiment by yourself, and post your experimental results here.

> 3) What do you think on an idea like this, A table with 2500 columns and 2500 rows exactly like a distance matrix.

Try by yourself. But basically, you are implicitly expecting that retrieving one of 2500 columns is a quick operation.

I am not a MySQL expert, but I just believe that I understand that the basics of RDBMS are relations, not functions. So your function t(i,j) becomes a relation t(i,j)=u (of the 3 varaibles i,j,u). And a good RDBMS is built to manage efficiently big relations (aka tables), provided it has suitable indexes.

I really suggest trying by yourself; and I will be glad to read your results here. You might script your test in Ruby, Perl, Ocaml, PHP, or whatever language (with MySQL bindings) you like.

--
Basile STARYNKEVITCH :::: http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
December 13, 2004 11:06AM
Re: Implementing distance matrix 2500 X 2500
December 14, 2004 08:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.