MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Re: Joins - done in NDB or MySQL?
Posted by: Harrison Fisk
Date: January 17, 2005 09:05AM

Hi,

The join itself is done at the upper MySQL level. With that said some of the work should still be done in the NDB side as well depending on indexes (or even without indexes in future 5.0 versions).
I would have to see an EXPLAIN to know for sure, but in your above example if you had indexes correct, I think MySQL would execute the query in the following way:

Read the 100000 rows to local storage using a remote index access if you had a WHERE condition. Loop thru each of the 100000 rows retrieving the 2000 rows neccesary for each of the matches using a remote index lookup. That is a rough estimation of how it will be done. It actually will do it a bit differently, but that is a rough idea.

So it sounds like it will do what you want it to do. Your query sounds like it will return a huge amount of rows. 100000*2000 would be 200,000,000 rows being returned. I hope you were just giving an example and not really trying to return that much data.

Harrison Fisk, Trainer and Consultant
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
January 16, 2005 06:32PM
Re: Joins - done in NDB or MySQL?
January 17, 2005 09:05AM
January 17, 2005 05:11PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.