MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Which should I use: replication or cluster?
Posted by: mpultz
Date: January 18, 2005 02:24AM

Hi,

We want to improve availability and fault tolerance by "clustering" our MySQL installation either by replication or cluster.

The setup we want it the following: 2 MySQL instances where each has a replica of the database so if one instance fails the system can carry on with a single instance. My understanding is that MySQL replication is probably what comes closest to our needs but I'm concerned with fail-over if the master fails. It is my understanding that no automatic fail-over procedure exist. You have to manually make the slave the new master and you could loose data (no garantee that slave is not up-2-date with master when master fails).

I assume the automatic fail-over procedure comes out-of-the-box with a MySQL cluster and that garantees are made regarding consistency. With the latter I mean, a commit implies both db nodes have commited the transaction.

Another concern of mine is: can I use the tools I use today. For example, can I use the mysql command or my favorite sql editor to do schema or db modifications? Are modifications automatically propagate to all nodes?

What would you recommend it? How stable is clustering compared to replication?

Regards
Mads

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Which should I use: replication or cluster?
January 18, 2005 02:24AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.