MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Re: 3 different architectures - best perfromance and redudancy?
Posted by: Matthew Marlowe
Date: April 22, 2005 02:35AM

I received the same impression from the cluster tutorial, however some of the larger mysql sites definitly seem to be putting mysql on each webserver when possible. So there is no clear answer.

We are deploying some clusters here and have decided to seperate out the database layer from the web layer for security purposes. There is a FW/Loadbalancer in between and if it was ever possible, we'd probably want the loadbalancer to do application level inspection of the mysql traffic from the webservers (sort of like cisco pix with its oracle inspector).

Also, our webservers are cpu bound as it is and anytime you add more apps to a box, you end with additional context switches/etc. To be safe, you probably go with solution where ndb and mysql are running on the same box for now. As you add more db boxes, migrate mysql off the ndb boxes.

Keep in mind that once you setup a cluster, you can not change the number of ndb nodes w/o backing up and restoring the db (I'm hoping I heard that right, it was an interesting tidbit from the conference).

Finally, your 2GB/server seems pretty low. We're putting 2-4GB on each webserver and 8-12GB on db nodes.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: 3 different architectures - best perfromance and redudancy?
April 22, 2005 02:35AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.