MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Re: sql node and storage node concept, state of cluster.
Posted by: Jonathan Stephens
Date: May 11, 2005 12:54PM

> can i have both sql node and storage node on the same machine?

Sure.

> any disadvantages?

Well, the mysqld process is going to use a bit of CPU and memory -- not much, but it is a nonzero amount.

A bigger problem is that, if that's your only SQL node and you lose that storage node, you no longer have access to the cluster for your application.

Another potential issue is security -- if you SQL node is running on the same machine as the storage node, that means you're having to allow applications to access a machine 'inside' the cluster (so to speak). And communications between storage nodes isn't protected in any way. Personally, I wouldn't let anything access any storage node hosts from outside the local subnet.

Given all that plus the fact that the requirements for the mysqld process are minimal, I'd use separate machines for the SQL nodes. It doesn't require the latest and greatest in hardware just to run a command-line-only installation of Linux and a MySQL Server -- most of the heavy lifting is being done on the storage nodes.

Jon Stephens
MySQL Documentation Team @ Oracle

MySQL Dev Zone
MySQL Server Documentation
Oracle

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.