MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  NDB clusters

Is this what this is? (what is MySQL Clustering)
Posted by: Benjamin Cabell
Date: November 30, 2004 04:04PM

I've been following the MySQL Clustering effort for a while, but I've never found in the documentation (I've read most all of it) answers to some pretty fundamental questions.

So, can someone confirm my understanding (below)?

MySQL Clustering provides clustering only for its storage engine (the NBD). I find nothing mentioning converting MyISAM tables to NBD. I assume you can do it, but given the differences between storage engines I assume it may not be as simple as that. (When you convert to InnoDB from MyISAM there are some differences you must know and watch out for, both in use, and limitations. So, what are the differences here?)

Where is the persistence? I've read in a few places that it says things are persistent, but I've not read much about how that works, and whether you can have more data than would fit in memory (I've seen some things mention that it can store things on disk, but nothing definite).

The bottom line is, is this a specialized solution for a very specific problem? Or is this a natural path for upgrading our two MySQL 4.0 DB servers which are in dual master replication (only one being read from), with 15 GB of data (including indexes). Is the intent of all this to convert all our MyISAM tables to NBD in clustering to get the redundancy, failover, etc., etc.?

Thanks for any thoughts. I feel stupid not finding these answers on my own, but all I seem to find is vagueness, hints, and nothing which clearly tells me whether this would be an alternative to replication or thirdparty clustering (like EMIC, or whatever their name is).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Is this what this is? (what is MySQL Clustering)
November 30, 2004 04:04PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.