MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

MySQL Replication: Question about a fallback-system
Posted by: Tobi T
Date: February 22, 2022 02:39AM

Hello all,

I´m not sure, what happened to my post from last week. But it's strange that 5 days have passed, and my post doesn't appear anywhere.
Because I'm afraid that my post will never appear, here is my question again:

I want to set up a complete server (apache, mysql 5.7) as a fallback of a productive server. The synchronization on file level using rsync and cronjob is already done.

The mysql-replication is currently the problem. More precisely: the choice of the right replica method.

Multi primary group replication seemed to be the most suitable method so far. In case of a longer production downtime, it is possible to switch to the fallback server quickly via DNS change. Write accesses to the database are possible immediately without adjustments.

So far so good: But, if the fallback-server fails, it is in unreachable status and the production-server switches to read only, since its group no longer has the quota. This is of course a no-go. I thought it might be possible using different replica variables: If the fallback-server is in unreachable state for a certain time (~5 minutes), the production-server should stop the group_replication and start a new group_replication. This has to happen automatically to keep the read-only time relatively low. When the fallback-server is back online, it should be manually added to the newly started group. But if I read the various forum posts and documentation correctly, it's not possible that way. And running a Group_Replication with only two nodes is the wrong decision anyway.

https://forums.mysql.com/read.php?177,657333,657343#msg-657343

Is the master - slave replication the only one that can be considered for such a fallback system? https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/replication-solutions-switch.html

Or does the Group_Replication offer possibilities after all, if you can react suitably to the quota problem? Possibilities that I have overlooked so far.

Many thanks and best regards

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
MySQL Replication: Question about a fallback-system
February 22, 2022 02:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.