MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Promoting a slave to a master
Posted by: JP Bauer
Date: December 12, 2007 05:56AM

The documentation (Switching Masters During Failover) states that one should not run the slaves with log-slave-updates so that "the slave is ready to become a master as soon as you issue STOP SLAVE; RESET MASTER". It is further noted that running the slaves without log-slave-updates is to "prevent slaves from receiving updates twice".

I understand the explanation that is given as to how this can happen. What I don't understand is how the slave could receive updates twice after a RESET MASTER statement has been executed, as the RESET MASTER Syntax documentation states that RESET MASTER "deletes all binary logs listed in the index file, resets the binary log index file to be empty, and creates a new binary log file."

What am I missing here? How would the slave receive any statements from the newly promoted master after RESET MASTER has been run?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Promoting a slave to a master
December 12, 2007 05:56AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.