MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Dual Master and Partitioned Data
Posted by: Tobin Harris
Date: July 27, 2005 12:07PM

Hi,

I have a small web spider application that sits on one server (Server A). We'd like to introduce a new server to host a web application (Server B), with it's own MySql database. There's only one database I need to replicate between servers. The scenario is like this...

Server A is very busy with reads and updates. It has 2 large InnoDB tables containing data that Server B needs a fairly up-to-date copy of.

Server B will be a web server, and won't be that busy. It has 12 small tables containing data that Server A needs a fairly up to date copy of.

There is one table that both servers will update. This is fairly clean - in that Server A will update one column of this table, and Server B will update the rest.

So, the flow of data between servers, which are on the same network, looks something like this...

A B
t1 ->
t2 ->
t3 <-
t15 <-
t16 <->

Now... to my question. I figured that I could implement this strategy by using the Dual Masters topology. As described, each master "owns" a mutually exclusive subset of tables in the database, which means the partitioning is fairly clean. Does this sound like a reasonable approach?

I'm new to replication, and fairly new to MySql, so any pointers on getting this set up working would be very much appreciated. For example...

- Will I need to set up appropriate "replicate-do-db" and "replicate-do-table" settings for each server, so that they know which tables they should subscribe to and which ones they should publish? Will these settings be enough to control "who pushes/pulls which tables"?

- Will I actually be configuring each server as a MASTER and a SLAVE, or will both just be MASTERS?

- Because Server A gets quite a few updates (perhaps 1-3 inserts per second), will replication bog down server B as it tries to keep up? I'm thinking not, since the reason why A is so busy is mainly due to queries, the inserts seem quite light weight.

- I plan on replicating between a Windows 2003 server and a Linux box (same MySql version), I'm hoping that this won't introduce problems?

Any help/thoughts much appreciated.

Tobin

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Dual Master and Partitioned Data
July 27, 2005 12:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.