MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Re: Read & Exec Master Log Position on Master-Master setup
Posted by: Tim Rosine
Date: September 28, 2005 01:34PM

I've noticed the same on my setup (mysql 4.1.10a). Looking at the mysqlbinlog output, I find that in the case where M01 is "lagging", the position at which it stopped is just after the last update from M02. That is - the server id is equal to itself for all remaining statements.

In other words, the slave SQL thread is not "consuming" any updates made on the same server_id. The documentation states that the SQL thread will not execute these statements by default (although you can override with --replicate-same-server-id). In my case, i don't want --replicate-same-server-id (update a set b=b+1 would actually run twice on the same server).

In addition, I have found that restarting the sql thread updates the Exec_Master_Log_Pos all the way to the end of the binlog.

Personally, I would expect the SQL thread to consume all binlog records, skipping execution as appropriate (according to --replicate-same-server-id). That way, when the slave starts, it only needs to worry about updates made since it had stopped. At a minimum, I would expect the value of Exec_Master_Log_Pos to be the same regardless of when the slave started.

For now, I'm using Seconds_Behind_Master (which is really seconds behind slave IO thread) instead.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Read & Exec Master Log Position on Master-Master setup
September 28, 2005 01:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.