MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Can a slave also behave as a master?
Posted by: Frederic Soriano
Date: October 04, 2005 10:39AM

We are currently using an application that logs events collected from different sources in real-time and stores them into a MySQL DB after preprocessing, each source having its own dedicated database managed by the same instance. The real-time collection & storage of every source is performed on the same server (big disks, lots of memory).

We also need to perform further processing on information stored in these databases with a 3rd party reporting tool (by reindexing certain fields, filtering unneeded information, etc. -- in fact, trying to reproduce OLAP features from an OLTP source), which leads us to create another database. To minimize CPU overhead, this database is running on another server.

So we set up replication between production (master) and a secondary (slave) server. On this secondary server, another mysqld instance is running that reads data from slave and stores output into another database. The final configuration looks like this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Production host |......................Secondary server...............................|
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| A (Master) ------> B (Slave) <- C (reads from slave and stores output) |

Instead of having one mysql slave instance (B) and another mysql instance (C) running on the same secondary server, I was wondering if I could gather B and C under the same mysqld instance, i.e. mysqld would not only behave as a slave by replicating data from A but also accept requests from a script that runs let's say every night to fill tables on database C based on data read from B.

I am using the 'replicate-do-dbname' flag on B, so I'm taking care not to replicate any database that would have the same name as C's, avoiding corruption.

BTW, I'm using 4.1.X stable release.

Thanks for advices.

Fred.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Can a slave also behave as a master?
October 04, 2005 10:39AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.