MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

replication - slave copy - unclear points
Posted by: claudiu vasadi
Date: November 07, 2011 03:45PM

Hi guys,

I'm really new to this and need some confirmation that what I'm about to do is the proper way of doing things:

At the moment we have a db that is configured as a master (db1). We also have a slave (db2) that is replicating the master (all db's).

Recently we acquired a 3rd (db3) machine that also needs to replicate the master.

Reading O'Reilly's "MySQL High Availability" I lay down the following steps (:

1) Get dumps from the slave (db2) - done via normal mysqldump every 6h (we have InnoDB tables and the dump is one without locking the tables first)
2) import the dump into the new slave - done
Q: Every time I want to import a nonexistent db into the new machine I get "db does not exist" and I need to create it manually and then import ? Shouldn't the whole import thing also create the db ?
3) This is where I get lost. According to the book, I have to stop the 2nd slave and note down the Relay_Master_Log_File and Exec_Master_Log_Pos so that I can specify the "change master to" statement on the 3rd slave.

Generally speaking, is stopping the (2nd) slave a bad habit and is this the correct way of doing things ?

Guess I'm just a bit scarred not to screw something up :).

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
replication - slave copy - unclear points
November 07, 2011 03:45PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.