MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Replication

Member Blocking in Group Replication misunderstanding
Posted by: Alexander Sidow
Date: February 16, 2017 07:29AM

I'm trying to simulate a production environment inside Docker. While testing and observing the behaviour, I encountered two cases I don't understand:

Case 1:

2 of 3 members become "ONLINE" after startup in "performance_schema.replication_group_members", one fails probably due to name resolution problems in the first minutes in Docker. Startup scenario is the same as in Docker's mysql/mysql-gr container, with two differences: MySQL version 5.7.17 is used and Multi-Primary mode was enabled.
- Failed member sees only itself and reports itself as "OFFLINE" or "ERROR" (I've seen both: OFFLINE if compromised member can't contact other members, ERROR if compromised member was expelled from other members due to network reasons) in performance_schema.replication_group_members".
-> Since network was functional all the time writing to offline member is possible and creates a split brain scenario.
-> START GROUP_REPLICATION will succeed but increase the split brain situation - our former OFFLINE member becomes online and creates it's own replication group.

Is write-allowed a bug or working as intended? If that's correct, which is best practice to prevent writing to this member on database layer but keeping Multi-Primary mode? A more stringent blocking mechanism might probably be helpful.

Case 2:

Lets kill one of the remaining two members.
- Last living member detects failure of other member and sets its state to "UNREACHABLE" in "performance_schema.replication_group_members", but keeps it's own state as "ONLINE".
-> Writing to last living member is not possible (and thats correct).

Why does the state remain "ONLINE"?

Thanks and br,
Alex

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Member Blocking in Group Replication misunderstanding
February 16, 2017 07:29AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.