MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Synchronization

Sync of 10-12 Gig DBs
Posted by: Huu Da Tran
Date: November 12, 2010 11:17AM

This may not be 100% sync question, but I think it's the best place to ask it. I have a mix of MyISAM-only databases, InnoDB-only databases and a mix of both.

I have a question to know what would be the best way to transfert (for each setup) the databases from one host to another (local network). For smalls databases, I just go with mysqldump and load it on the other server.

My problem is more what to do with the 10-12 Gigs DBs? On those DBs, developer would truncate tables in a given DB, do their magic and populate the DB on their workstation. So basically, it's all new data. Now, I want to transfert that on a test server.

At the moment, for ease of procedure, I ask them to mysqldump, put the dump on the test master and a DBA source the file (set sql_log_bin=0) and then run it once more on the test slave at a latter time (delay is not a problem). This is done in two steps because the snapshots are not important to keep in the binlogs and will not slow down both master and slave at the same time. When data is satisfactory, the same dump file is used on production master (and again on the production slave).

Are there other ways? We used to tar the MyISAM-only DBs when all hosts were 32-bit machines. Now, all hosts are running the same version of MySQL 5.1.46-log on Suse 11.3. About 80% of the hosts are 64-bit machines.

Thanks,

Huu Da
MySQL flirter

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Sync of 10-12 Gig DBs
November 12, 2010 11:17AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.