MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Backup

Backup with mysqldump to csv
Posted by: Norbert Kulski
Date: July 13, 2021 05:45AM

Hi,

I'm from MSSQL world and I'm not familiarized with MySQL engine but I have questions about MySQL backups - before questions - what I've already learned from MySQL documentation (if I'm wrong then please correct me):
- mysqldump creates database backups mainly in sqlformat
- sqlformat is a text file with sql statements inside (can be compressed but still - it is a text file)
- it is possible with mysqldump to create backup in CSV format

Is this two formats (sqlformat, csv) are in some way different in terms of backup speed or reliability? Is it possible to switch to csv without any drawback? My idea is to use this MySQL backups to fill in another system with data, but with sqlformat it needs additional processing - with csv it is straightforward.

Please don't answer only - "csv as a backup format is a bizarre idea" - because, for me, both sqlformat and csv are only text files with some difference inside, so if one format is better I want to know why :)

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Backup with mysqldump to csv
July 13, 2021 05:45AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.