MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

SSL connection validation
Posted by: Luke Huston
Date: August 08, 2016 02:12PM

I'm seeing some confusing behavior when connecting to MySQL using SSL, and I'm hoping to get some clarification on what exactly is going on.

I'm connecting to MySQL in Amazon Web Services RDS using SSL. After spending a lot of time wrestling with mysql/j connect driver properties and the complexities raised by Amazon having provided 12 certificates in one bundle, I've gotten a successful connection.

However, when trying to validate that I'm connected using SSL I notice that none of these System Status Variables ever increment above 0
show status where variable_name like 'ssl_accept%' or variable_name like 'ssl%connect%'
Variable_name Value
Ssl_accept_renegotiates 0
Ssl_accepts 0
Ssl_client_connects 0
Ssl_connect_renegotiates 0
Ssl_finished_connects 0

Also, I seem to be able to connect from MySQL Workbench despite not actually having configured that tool with the SSL keys at all.

Anyone have any idea what those variables might be for if not tracking SSL connections? Or any idea why MySQL Workbench might be able to connection using an ID that requires SSL if I've not configured it with the required SSL keys?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
SSL connection validation
August 08, 2016 02:12PM
August 11, 2016 09:36AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.