MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Security

mysql_secure_installation Does Not Work, and Fails Silently
Posted by: David Hillman
Date: September 08, 2020 12:49AM

FYI, on at least the current Ubuntu package, the included mysql_secure_installation utility does not work, and fails silently with no warning to the administrator.

I just installed 8.0.21-0ubuntu0.20.04.4 on a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. After a successful install, I ran the mysql_secure_installation utility. I provided it with a new root password, and asked it to: remove anonymous users, disallow remote root, remove the test database, and reload privileges. It appeared to accomplish each task successfully.

After completion, I again attempted to login as root with no password, and was successful. The root password that I provided to the utility does not work. I'm not sure what exactly this utility did to my permissions, but it didn't do what it claimed, and it didn't throw any errors.

So someone should probably have a look at it, and/or remove it from the package.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
mysql_secure_installation Does Not Work, and Fails Silently
September 08, 2020 12:49AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.