MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Data Warehouse

Kimball book recommendations & Schema question
Posted by: Matthew Halliday
Date: June 12, 2007 01:47AM

Anyone care to recommend the best Kimball book to go for for a total newbie to data warehousing - there are quite a few, the DW Toolkit 2002 Edn looks to be the most promising.

I'm trying to get my head round the design, I have a series of production job timestamps - scheduled start, scheduled end, actual start, actual end, etc: judging by several articles on DW - since these cannot be summarised or totalled, do they then go into a JOB dimension table that will hold the JOB_KEY linked from the fact table, and things like job order quantity, actual quantity produced, waste figures and so forth go in the fact table?

What's the best data type to hold dates in a dw? Is datetime ok or would something else be better suited?

I'm using DBD4 to build the schema as it's easier to see how the tables relate to each other. I'm starting small and going to build up using an extended star design, I think it's the best way - a single fact table won't work, I don't think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2007 05:56AM by Matthew Halliday.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Kimball book recommendations & Schema question
June 12, 2007 01:47AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.