MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Data Warehouse

simple question about dimension table
Posted by: Maron Vomr@
Date: February 10, 2011 10:25PM

Hi all ,

I am new to data warehouse world and need to know that I have a oltp structure where lets say there are 3 tables brand, category and product. Now in brand there is a field say name varchar(45) and in category there is also a field name varchar(45). So for OLTP it's different table and no problem.
But now when I am creating dimention table "product" and combining all these 3 tables in one Product dimension so how to incorporate that 'name' field as it will be duplicated and mysql wont allow so should I change the name to something meaningful or what is the dw concept for this.
And one more question. say in OLTP product table it has 100 rows and in category 5 and in brand 3. so how to populate the "product" dimension table by taking data from all these 3 tables.
Should I just run a query matching productID with category tables's product ID and then brandID with category tables brand ID and finally will get 100 rows in dimension table.

Thank you. hope I make myself clear.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
simple question about dimension table
February 10, 2011 10:25PM
February 12, 2011 04:58PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.