MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Data Warehouse

big data question
Posted by: Vincent R&D
Date: March 27, 2013 01:26AM

Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to put this question but I guess this is
related to high availablity of data.

The problem is that I have a OLTP mysql database which has two very large tables among many.
The user is interested to get a report which is created from joining this two tables. These tables are getting bigger over time with rate of millions of records
per week.

Querying the tables through on-demand joins as a response to the user's request is
very unhealthy becasuse the tables are very big and the whole database hangs during the report.

I thought one solution would be to create a second database beside the first database. The second database has a view of joint tables of the first database which is filled with the source data from the first database in an interval. sounds like staging ....

I don't know what is a standard or best practice way of doing this...
What would you suggest?
I have also familiar with most of big data definitions and solutions such as partitioning, data warehouse, staging, data marts etc. but not having had a practical experience so far, I'm not that confidence to pick a solution ...

Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Vincent.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
big data question
March 27, 2013 01:26AM
March 28, 2013 07:52PM
March 30, 2013 06:11AM
March 31, 2013 01:25AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.