MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

backup-restore problem
Posted by: k s
Date: August 11, 2005 07:20AM

Hi,

I have a bibliographic db that I wanted to transfer to another server but got a problem with that. The python application (bibus) that uses the db throwed some errors (utf8 encode etc) and didnt work as expected with the duplicated db. To make things more transparent, I repeated the backup-restore procedure on the same server. So here is my test, what I did and what happened (db with 4 MyIsam tables):

1) SQL Backup of original db ('bibus') with mysqladmin using default settings
2) restore of the backup to the same server but a different db name ('bibustest')
3) compare the most critical fields of the main table (bibref) of both db's with this query:

select b1.id,b1.author,b2.author,b1.title,b2.title,b1.abstract,b2.abstract from bibustest.bibref as b1, bibus.bibref as b2 where b1.id=b2.id AND
( b1.author <> b2.author OR b1.title <> b2.title OR b1.title <> b2.title OR b1.abstract <> b2.abstract OR b1.booktitle <> b2.booktitle OR b1.journal <> b2.journal)

AGainst expectation I got 11 mismatches from 17000 total entries. The application worked with the original 'bibus' tables, but not with the 'bibustest' tables. Then I removed the rows found with the above query from the bibustest.bibref table . After this operation the application also worked with the bibustest (copied) tables without problems!!! For me this looks like a pretty bad bug in the sql backup/restore procedure. Any ideas what to do? (of course, no one else was accessing the db during the tests)

thanks

klaus

edit: if I export-import the cleaned up copy (bibustest) again, everything seems to be fine! The original tables (bibus) were checked with 'check tables' from mysqladmin at the very beginning of my test.

using: MYSQL 4.1.10, winXP-engl, MYSQL-Admin 1.1.1RC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2005 07:37AM by k s.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
backup-restore problem
k s
August 11, 2005 07:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.