MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

skip-lock-tables and mysqldump
Posted by: Jafo C
Date: September 13, 2011 07:42AM

Daily we run mysql dumps on about 50 individual databases, package them up and then store them offsite. Some of these databases are rather large and contain myisam tables (which CANNOT be changed so suggesting it is pointless).. I have been reading up on using the skip-lock-tables option when doing a dump but have not read what the downside would be. All I see are basically different iterations of "it could have adverse effects if data is inserted to a table while it is dumping."

What are these adverse effects? Does it just mean we will miss those queries upon a restore or will it mean the dump file will be broken and useless? I honestly could care less if we lose NEW data posted after the dump has started as I am just looking for a snapshot in time.

Can I rely on these database dumps to contain all the data that was saved at the immediate instant of issuing the dump.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
skip-lock-tables and mysqldump
September 13, 2011 07:42AM
September 19, 2011 06:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.