MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

myodbc doesn't work under putty tunnel while mysqladministrator does
Posted by: Alfonso
Date: February 06, 2005 04:13AM

Hello all,

I have a problem trying to connect via ssh tunnel with myodbc. System is as follows

mysql server: linux box with ssh and mysql 4.0.2x (don't remember the version exactly, I think it is 23)

myodbc client: windows XP professional with administrative tools installed and myodbc 3.51.

I follow the following steps:

1- create tunnel to my linux box with putty. Local port is 30000
2- first check of the tunnel is working: telnet localhost 30000 and i get the "welcome string"of the mysql server.
3- second check that the tunnel is working: mysqladministrator can connect to localhost:30000 and i can administer my databases, at least I can see the tables and the databases i have access to.
4- Go to administrative tools->Data Sorces (ODBC)->User DSN->Add->mysql 3.51 ODBC driver
5- Set the following para meters:
server: localhost
user:blabla
password:blabla
port:30000
6- Get the following error message: [MySQL][ODBC 3.51 Driver]Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)

I have tried 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost without success. A direct connection to the server on port 3306 (not through tunnel) works perfectly but I do need tunnel here. I also tried socket:30000 instead of port, but it didn't work. Also ried System DSN but nothing changed. Any idea of what the problem can be? what I don't understand is why mysqladministrator can use the tunnel and the driver can't. I'm not an expert in windows user by the way. What I want is use ODBC to connect from Access to the mysql database.

I have been through google but I found nothing addressing this problem or something similar so I got no clue of what else to try.

Thanks a lot in advance

Alfonso

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.