MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

Re: Database Connection to mysql from asp
Posted by: Barry Galbraith
Date: October 16, 2010 03:36PM

>I would need to move the database to my wwwroot where my web pages are located.

The simplest method is to dump your local database with mysqldump, then load that file into your webhost based mysql.

>I just want to know where on the computer the database is located after I created them from MySQL.

You really don't need to know where your actual files are located on your local machine.
If you just have to know then SELECT @@datadir; will tell you folder the data is in.

>I also want to ask about user and password, do I have to create my own username and password?

When you install MySQL, you get user "root" and the default installation has no password. You should make one for root if prompted. If you are not prompted then your firt job is to give root a password.

Root can then manage users and passwords as requied.

If the database is on your machine, then you are root.

On the webhost machine, the webhost is root, and they will create your prime user, or have a utility for you to create your own, and they will have a utility which allows you to create your own user(s) on your own database.

My webhost uses cPanel. I log into cPanel, and when I create a database, it creates my main user with the same name and password as my cPanel login. Once logged into cPanel I can create my mysql users/passwords.

Good luck,
Barry.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Database Connection to mysql from asp
October 16, 2010 03:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.