MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

Re: ODBC 5.1 to 5.3 - ANSI or Unicode?
Posted by: Bogdan Degtyariov
Date: June 26, 2017 02:20AM

Hi John,

The Connector/ODBC v5.1 was the UNICODE-only ODBC driver. Therefore, the ODBC Driver 5.3 UNICODE will be better way for you to go.

The ANSI driver was re-introduced in the version 5.2 and is continued in 5.3 because it is faster (no string conversion is done) and it works like the older version 3.51 in many aspects.

I am not sure I understand the question about the extant DB.

About the data corruption. The MySQL Connector/ODBC is distributed without any guarantees. Even more, currently there is no software product from any manufacturer that can guarantee the absolute data integrity and no data corruption under any circumstances.

The ANSI version does not do any conversions whatsoever, it just works as a bridge between the client application and MySQL Server. Therefore, theoretically the ANSI version has smaller probability of data corruption related to string conversions. However, it does not support wide character strings and UNICODE except UTF8. With the latest version of ODBC driver 5.3.8 we are not aware of issues related to data corruption.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Degtyariov

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: ODBC 5.1 to 5.3 - ANSI or Unicode?
June 26, 2017 02:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.