MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/ODBC

Re: ODBC can't connect to server with certain passwords - how to circumvent?
Posted by: Hans Meise
Date: April 06, 2022 03:14AM

Thank you very much for the reply.

Could you please shortly explain what you mean by OdbcAdmin?

In Windows 10, in the start menu, I type "ODBC". Then a list with matching entries appears. From that list, I choose "ODBC Data Sources (64 bit)" -> "Run as administrator". Then UAC asks for the administrator password. I type it in, and then a dialog appears which is called "ODBC Data Source Administrator (64 bit)".

In that dialog, I switch to tab "System DSN", click "Add ...", choose "MySQL ODBC 8.0 Unicode Driver" from the list and fille the following dialog box as necessary. When I type that password into the "Password:" text box and then hit "Test", the error happens, but only if the password contains the substring mentioned in my first post.

Surely it's an error in the ODBC driver, because the native Linux MySQL client happily connects using the very same password. The same is true with some custom software (Perl scripts with DBD:MySQL, C programs which use the MySQL libraries, and so on).

The question is how to circumvent the problem. I could report a bug, but that would be probably a waste of time. I have very negative experiences regarding bug reporting. I've already reported various bugs to several open source projects. In general, they just don't care. Usually I had to wait 6 months for the first reply, and that reply usually was asking "How to reproduce" although I already had described how to reproduce in detail.

So, no thanks, they've made a fool of me many times, but not now. I've got more important things to do. If nobody in this forum knows how to circumvent the bug, I'll just change those passwords.

Thank you very much again, and have a nice day!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: ODBC can't connect to server with certain passwords - how to circumvent?
April 06, 2022 03:14AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.