Need more info about Collation Please
Posted by: Chris Cline
Date: November 15, 2004 03:08PM

I'm not sure I fully understand this collation problem with 4.1 and the .NEt connector. I too upgraded to 4.1 but I just used the new Administrator program to backup and restore my data. Some where during that process the data changed and now I'm dead in the water until I can comeup with a fix. I'm talking about a 60+ table with some having over 100 columns so re-writing the select statements to add a convert() statement is a little out of the question.

If I understand the problem correctly, that is, the 4.1 server now uses the column character set and the server character set during the compare which in turn effects string compares, etc. If this is correct then can I backup the database, change the character set in the backup file to latin, reloaded it and life is good again?

What I dont understand is at what point from the .Net connector to the actual data does it get converted into something it can't compare? What character set does the .NET provider now use to send data to the server or is the problem completly located on the server side?

Any light you can shed on this would be great..

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Need more info about Collation Please
November 15, 2004 03:08PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.