Re: Change notification Best Practice?
Posted by: Massimo Cicognani
Date: June 29, 2009 07:50AM

Thank you J.
I know that triggers can be used to automatically detect changes, but I'm not able yet to notify a client application through them.

I mean, I can certainly use triggers to update some other table with update information, like writing a timestamp on a sort of update registry.
The client application could check this table at a specific time interval and thus obtaining what I was looking for.
But I was looking for an event base notification, like Oracle DCN (Data Change Notification) and I believe that this kind of service would be very useful since it allow client application to subscribe only to certain changes (somethin' like dinamically adding triggers and handlers), to avoid useless checks while waiting for any change occuring and, on the other hand, to be immediately notified without waiting for the next scheduled refresh. Maybe its just a few seconds, but sometimes its just too much.

I thought that a sort of combination of triggers, events, exception or handlers could be arranged to notify my NET connector that something happened, but still didn't figured how.
At this point I understood that this kind of service it's not present in MySQL nor it will be in a short period, since I've not found any reference to something similar in the current development timeline.
So I'll have to find something else while waiting for an 'official' release.
I'm investigating some plug-in/UDF sources that will interface with Spread, a messaging server that's light enough to be installed on the same server without worries.

Thank you again,

Massimo

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Change notification Best Practice?
June 29, 2009 07:50AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.