Re: MySQL.Data v8.0.18 fails if more than one IP is found in DNS for a named host
Posted by: Jeremy Gamble
Date: October 31, 2019 08:10AM

Just to add a bit of clarity, I wanted to provide some additional information I collected while troubleshooting. This server is a VM hosted by a 3rd-party provider in a remote location. I was able to use RDP to connect to it (by name) without a problem, as well as browse files in a share on the server with the UNC path (\\<SERVERNAME>\Share\). From a basic networking and operational perspective, the server appears to be working normally.

From the command line, I ran a basic PING to the server in question. Then, I cleared the local DNS cache and tried again. I repeated this process a few times and got different addresses.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.950]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D:\Users\JG>ping <SERVERNAME>

Pinging <SERVERNAME>.ad.domain.com [XXX.XXX.17.20] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from XXX.XXX.17.20: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=128

D:\Users\JG>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Pinging <SERVERNAME>.ad.domain.com [XXX.XXX.16.86] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from XXX.XXX.16.86: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=128

D:\Users\JG>ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

Pinging <SERVERNAME>.ad.domain.com [XXX.XXX.17.22] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from XXX.XXX.17.22: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=128
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Each of the IP's match up with one of the IP's I get in code if I use the System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry() method to retrieve the .AddressList property for the server by name.

This particular server also hosts a public-facing Web site as well as an FTP server that are working normally. I can access the MySQL server instance on <SERVERNAME> via the MySQL Workbench (currently using 6.3 CE) by name without a problem. All of this along with the above information - the problem just started after updating the MySql.Data from NuGet - seems to point to a problem with the library over anything else.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: MySQL.Data v8.0.18 fails if more than one IP is found in DNS for a named host
October 31, 2019 08:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.