Character set problem
Posted by: Steve Erdman
Date: January 19, 2005 03:18PM

I'm running the 4.1.7 MySQL server and using the 1.4.2 JRE with the 3.0.14 Connector/J driver to connect to it. The database is set up to use latin1 encoding as is the table in question.

I'm having problems retrieving certain characters that I thought were part of the latin1 character set. More specifically, I'm inserting strings that contain ‘ and ’ and the em-dash character –. Using either the Control Center or the Query Browser, I can pull these up with a select statement and the proper characters are displayed. However, when I do a JDBC call on this info, these characters are translated into the "this is a control or otherwise untranslatable character" box.

I did some testing and the same thing happens if I start the JRE with the file.encoding set to latin1 (my system settings have windows-1252 as the default, I think), so I'm guessing that these characters either aren't part of the character set or java is messing me about with them.

If they aren't part of that set, I'm wondering if someone can tell me why they seem to be stored correctly and what character set I can switch to (utf-8 gives me the same problem and windows-1252 doesn't appear to be an option) so that I can actually work with them. If they are part of the set, I'm hoping that someone knows what is getting screwed up and can help me out.

Anyway, thanks for your time,
Steve Erdman

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Character set problem
January 19, 2005 03:18PM
January 19, 2005 06:08PM
January 19, 2005 09:41PM
January 20, 2005 06:00PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.