Backward compatibility of prepared statements broken in 3.1.6
Posted by: Andy Grove
Date: February 04, 2005 02:31AM

In Connector/J 3.0.8 (and I think all pre-3.1.0 releases) calls to Connection.prepareStatement() work correctly although they do not actually prepare the statement since the server has not supported that functionality in the past.

In Connector/J 3.1.6 certain calls to prepareStament() fail with the error message "This command is not supported in the prepared statement protocol yet". I can only assume that this is because the driver is in fact trying to prepare a statement but the server does not support preparing that type of statement. I have had to modify my application to use createStatement() instead so that it is compatible with both old and new Connector/J drivers.

My issue is now resolved but I was quite surprised to see a GA release that is not backwards-compatible with previous releases. Surely the driver should revert to the original behaviour if the server does not support prepared statements for particular statements?

Thanks,

Andy Grove
Chief Technology Officer
Code Futures Software, Ltd.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Backward compatibility of prepared statements broken in 3.1.6
February 04, 2005 02:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.