autocommit override
Posted by: John McGowan
Date: April 01, 2005 09:53AM

I am using connector J in my application as a way of connecting my application server / middleware to mysql. (nothing suprising here) however I've recently exposed a bug with the middleware that probably wasn't even noticed before by anybody because it's transaction related.

Basically, the middleware is setting autocommit to false, and that is causing problems for me because my application isn't seeing the latest and greatest data in the database even though it should. I received a special (unsupported) build of the JDBC library for the middleware that didn't set autocommit to false, and everything worked as expected... .Well almost everything...

Problem is, the app server does some weird stuff based on it's own autocommit setting and now transactions still aren't working because the middleware doesn't bother to send BEGIN's when i start a transaction within the middleware. I'm getting major resistance from the developer of the app server, because of the huge impact and amount of testing the change I'm requiring will cause.

I couldn't find a JDBC connection property to force autocommit to true, or any other properties that would help, but I got to thinking. Connector J is open source...

Instead of using the unsupported changes that don't 100% fix the problem I'm having, I was going to add a JDBC URL property to the mysql Connector to tell the driver to ignore whatever autocommit settings the application does. This should allow the app server to think that the driver is in autocommit false mode, while still performing in autocommit true mode.

I am new to this product, so I wanted to post a message here first for others input on this. Is there already something like this in Connector J? If I were to write something like this for myself, is it something that others could possibly use. (I know others using the same app server i'm using could benefit from it)

/John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
autocommit override
April 01, 2005 09:53AM
April 01, 2005 10:29AM
April 01, 2005 11:31AM
April 01, 2005 11:47AM
April 01, 2005 11:57AM
April 01, 2005 02:20PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.