TimeZone conversion in Connector/J; maybe a patch is in order?
Posted by: David Tonhofer
Date: October 06, 2004 10:54AM

Hi, I'm in a bit of a stress situation, so I will keep this short, just to check whether it
makes sense. I have been looking through the Connector/J code for 3.0.15-ga, maybe
this already exists in later versions?

Basically, it's about conversion of DATE TIMESTAMP or DATETIME to Timestamp.

Current code looks a bit ugly (sorry, guys, no offense intended) and there is something missing:
a method to set up *your own* Calendar for conversion.

Current code in ResultSet does the following, more or less:

1) Sucks bytes from the server over the wire, this is the value as seen in a online Select,
e.g. YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS.

2) If you run getAsString() you get the "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" String and can convert at
will. This is what I have been doing myself so far, but now I'm using Jakarta BeanUtils,
which call getTimestamp(). So:

3) If getTimestamp() is called() then eventually fastTimestampCreate() is called with a
null conversion Calendar. This means fastTimestampCreate() will interprete the
YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS as expressing time in the SQL client's timezone, with a Gregorian
Calendar. Therein lies a problem if you have many SQL clients in different timezones.

4) The Timestamp result returned by fastTimestampCreate() is passed through
TimeUtil.changeTimezone() wich, if Connection.useTimezone() is true, modifies the Timestamp
so that, in the end, the YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS is interpreted as expressing time in the SQL
server's timezone, with a Gregorian Calendar.

In order to make TimeUtil.changeTimezone() obsolete and add flexibility, one should probably
do this:

Configure the Connector with a value 'timestampTimezone' that can take values: 'server',
'client' or an offset, like 'UTC+1'. Maybe an additional 'timestampCalendar', too.

Initialize a new variable 'Calendar conversionCalendar' in the Connector so that:

--> case of 'server' (also, if 'useTimezone' has been set)
conversionCalendar = new GregorianCalendar()
conversionCalendar.setTimeZone(getServerTimezone())

--> case of 'client' (also, the default)
conversionCalendar.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getDefaultTimeZone())

--> case of '<other value>'
conversionCalendar.setTimeZone(TimeZone.getTimeZone(<other value>))

Now the calls in ResultSet can be simplified and the semantics are clearer:

Instead of the nested call:

return TimeUtil.changeTimezone(this.connection,
fastTimestampCreate(null, year, month - 1, day,
hour, minutes, seconds, 0),
connection.getServerTimezone(), tz);

Just use:

return fastTimestampCreate(connection.getConversionCalendar(), year, month - 1, day,
hour, minutes, seconds, 0))

Ok, so that's about it....Flame away!

-- David

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.