Communication failure during handshake. Is there a server running on localhost:3306?
Posted by: Kim Terp
Date: November 21, 2004 04:55AM

Hi all.

I am almost completely grayhaired by now. :(

I used to run MySQL 4.0.x but have now upgraded to 4.1.7. I am running on WinXp (Service Pack 2).

I started by stopping my service, thne removing my service and then uninstalled the old MySQL-server completely. The I installed the new MySQL 4.1.7-server and copyed my databases to it's /data folder.

Everything works fine. I can connecto to the database usiing MySQLs own MySQL-Manager application. I can perform queries and see all databses and tables both MySQL and test (default after install) but also my own databases.

I am using EMS-MySQL Manager as client when administrating the database, and this one works fine too.

And now to the problem:

I downloaded the new JDBC connector: mysql-connector-java-3.0.16-ga-bin.jar. Using it in my web-application as a connector to the database. But I get this message everytime I start up my Tomcat Webserver:

Communication failure during handshake. Is there a server running on localhost:3306?

Everything worked fine before when I used the: mysql-connector-java-2.0.14-bin.jar, but now it won't work.

I have read that there is a problem with old passwords, so I started the server with the --old-passwords parameter. It didn't work.
Then i tried to change passwords (Using EMS-MySQL Manager) on existing users, hoping that this would fix the problem. But no!

So what do I do? I am setting up a connectionpool in my java program. I can see in the MySQL-docs that the syntax for connecting to the database is the same as always, so I guess my code is fine. I can also see, that the new package: com.mysql.jdbc.Driver can be used but also the old org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver as the package is backwards compatible.

Right now i'm ready to skip programming, databases and computers for ever and start knitting instead.

Please help me out....

Kim Terp

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
November 21, 2004 04:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.