connectionCollation being igored
Posted by: Stefan von Chossy
Date: August 02, 2017 06:52AM

Hi there,

we do have a mySql (5.6.37) db with the following server settings:

character-set-server = 'utf8mb4'
collation-server = 'utf8mb4_bin'

table(s) collation is also set to utf8mb4_bin.

Now for the JDBC (mysql-connector-java-5.1.39-bin.jar) client connection we use these settings:

<connection-property name="useUnicode">true</connection-property>
<connection-propertyname="connectionCollation">UTF8MB4_GENERAL_CI</connection-property>
<connection-property name="characterSetResults">utf8</connection-property>
<driver>MySQL</driver>

(Alternatively I've tried this as well: <connection-url>jdbc:mysql://x.x.x.x:3306/test?useUnicode=true&amp;connectionCollation=UTF8MB4_GENERAL_CI&amp;characterSetResults=utf8&amp;characterEncoding=utf8</connection-url>
)

The client connection properties seem to be ignored since any query initiated through this connection is still case sensitive (due to the utf8mb4_bin).

If I use the COLLATE directly at a query (e.g. "select * from table where value = 'aa' COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci") everything works as expected and results with 'AA', 'Aa', 'aA' and 'aa' are returned.

Now I wonder why the JDBC client connectionCollation setting is being ignored. With this setting in place, I'd expect that I don't have to use the "select ... COLLATE utf8mb4_general_ci" clause.

Any thoughts on that?

Regards,

Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
connectionCollation being igored
August 02, 2017 06:52AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.