Memory Leak warning in Tomcat when using com.mysql.cj.jdbc(mysql-connector-java Version 8.0.11)
Posted by: Priyam Srivastava
Date: May 14, 2018 07:20AM

I am using Tomcat 9.0.8 with MySQL database Ver 8.0.11 and mysql-connector-java Version 8.0.11

I have implemented a Listener and in the contextDestroy(), I am de-registering all the JDBC drivers as below:

Enumeration<Driver> l_drivers = DriverManager.getDrivers();
while (l_drivers.hasMoreElements()) {
Driver l_driver = l_drivers.nextElement();
try {
LOGGER.info("De-registering JDBC driver :: {}",l_driver.getClass().getName());
DriverManager.deregisterDriver(l_driver);
} catch (Exception e) {
LOGGER.error("Error deregistering Driver:: {}", l_driver);
LOGGER.error(e.getMessage(), e);
}
}

But still every time I re-deploy/re-load/shutdown I get the below memory leak warning message in Tomcat Logs:

13-May-2018 00:02:01.354 WARNING [main] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads
The web application [xxxxx] appears to have started a thread named [Abandoned connection cleanup thread] but has failed to stop it.
This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread:
java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(ReferenceQueue.java:143)
com.mysql.cj.jdbc.AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.run(AbandonedConnectionCleanupThread.java:70)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
13-May-2018 00:02:01.387 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.stop Stopping ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8082"]
13-May-2018 00:02:01.392 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.stop Stopping ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8010"]
13-May-2018 00:02:01.397 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.destroy Destroying ProtocolHandler ["http-nio-8082"]
13-May-2018 00:02:01.398 INFO [main] org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol.destroy Destroying ProtocolHandler ["ajp-nio-8010"]

So I am not sure why I still get this warning? I have another web-app which runs with MySQL 5.7 and MySQL Connector 6.0.6 and there I am not facing this issue with exactly same code in the contextDestroy().

Am I missing something in the version 8?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Memory Leak warning in Tomcat when using com.mysql.cj.jdbc(mysql-connector-java Version 8.0.11)
May 14, 2018 07:20AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.