MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Licensing

Simple Question About Licensing
Posted by: Scott Johnson
Date: August 05, 2004 02:41PM

I'm sure this has been beat over the rocks, but I just couldn't get a good enough grasp of how to go about Licensing mySQL in the following scenario.

Say I want to develop a "for profit" stand alone single user application. For the sake of an example a home inventory application. I would want to distribute this software via cd-rom, website download, etc...

Since my application adds value beyond just being a database i.e. a nice GUI, importing tools etc... It's not like I'm re-selling mySQL, I'm selling a value added application that uses mySQL as the datastore.

I understand that as the developer of this commercial software, I would need to purchase the commercial license for mySQL. My big question comes in on what my costs are going to be w/regards to distributing my application and the mySQL engine that my application will rely on.

Basically, what I am afraid of is that my application will only be able to sell for $30-$50 at the very most, if I have to pass on the $250 cost of a mySQL license to each of my customers, I'm probably not going to get many sales...

Thanks for anything that will clear this up for me.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Simple Question About Licensing
August 05, 2004 02:41PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.