MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Licensing

Re: Simple Question About Licensing
Posted by: Scott Johnson
Date: August 06, 2004 02:46PM

Ok, I'm giving this one last effort, and then I'm off to find a simpler solution.

If this is the answer to my three previous question, then I assume I was Incorrect in my previous assumptions.

> Like most software products, *each* copy of MySQL
> requires a license. You can buy a site-wide
> license that allows you to distribute as many
> copies as you like, but these licenses tend to be
> rather expensive.

A site wide license is a little off topic from my previous post. If I had a team of developers I would certainly be interested in buying a commercial site license so that each developer at my "site" could have a copy of mySQL to work with. This would be acceptable because it's a one time expense that can be more easily factored into the price of the product.

Given that if I "Embed" mySQL into my product, as I would do with many other "widgets" in order to make a complete product (These other "widgets" fall into the category of Grid Controls, Compression libraries, etc.)

I don't expect to pay the "widget" vendor for every sold copy of the product I build from the "widget" (unless they charge a royalty.) If everyone used this model it would be impossible to build affordable software. This is why a LOT of "widget" vendors charge a good chunk of money for the license (or site license) to develop with the "widget" and don't impose any monetary restrictions upon how you distribute your product.

My thinking is that since I would be "Embedding" the mySQL engine into my product it would really cease to exist as mySQL the "product" and become nothing more than a "widget" for the development of my "product". One that was paid for indeed.

In essence it sounds and feels like mySQL is, by virtue of it's licensing, very similar to a royalty, in the case of product built with it for commercial use.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, I just want solid concrete answers to base my decisions from.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Simple Question About Licensing
August 06, 2004 02:46PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.