MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Licensing

Licensing Question
Posted by: Aaron Smith
Date: October 03, 2005 09:36PM

I have a question that I hope someone can clarify for me.

We are a small developer that has a couple of closed source applications that we sell. We really don't sell the software, but we sell the time that we have used to develop the software and then the customer retains the programs. But, we are a commercial enterprise, none the less.

We just started to test MSDE with our software by converting one of our larger customers. In our conversion and testing in house, we found out that MSDE has a 2 gig database limit that we were not aware of. (Good thing we found this out at the office and not on-site.) We have been looking for alternatives now, as purchasing SQL Server is going to put a hinderance on some of our customers (if we in fact start converting all of our customers.)

I knew that MySQL used to have a commercial license that was relatively cheap that our customers could purchase so that they could run MySQL with our software. That was a year or so ago when I had read that. Now I see that there are annual subscriptions.

1. Do our customers have to pay for that subscription, or is this something that my company purchases?

2. If my company has to purchase this, does that one subscription allow us to install and use MySQL on any of our customers installations, or do we need a subscription for each customer?

Thanks,
Aaron Smith

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Licensing Question
October 03, 2005 09:36PM
October 28, 2005 08:01AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.