MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Connector/Python

web interface
Posted by: r a
Date: November 20, 2010 04:05PM

Hello,

I am pretty new to all this. I have database design experience with MS Access, but this is my first mySQL db. I also have some coding experience, and am currently most comfortable with Python.

My end goal is to create a browser-based interactive fiction/game thing. Right now I have a mySQL db structure and some Python code. My code is currently just using dummy data rather than pulling in data from the db, but I think/hope it won't be too big of a deal to interact with the db through Python. (Hope I'm not tempting the coding gods by saying that.)

My main problem right now is how to do the browser interface. I don't know much about web architecture, unfortunately. I think I need some kind of CGI thing?

What I would really like is to find a GUI tool to design the interface that would have customizable templates or drag-and-drop elements or something, so I wouldn't have to code much by hand. Something easy, if such a tool exists.

Also would prefer something that I would be able to install/use without having that much access to the server where the site will be hosted (on a university server that I don't have control over). I don't fully understand how a lot of the tools I have been looking at work, but it seems like they're often things where you'd have to get an administrator to do stuff on the server (is that right?), which I would rather avoid.

It does look like Django has some sort of standalone implementation, but I'm not clear on how that would work or how much of a learning curve there would be for using it.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Hope my questions make sense. I don't really know what I'm doing, so could be they're kind of silly. I apologize if that's the case, and please let me know if you need any additional informmation.

Thanks,
Shel

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
web interface
r a
November 20, 2010 04:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.