MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Perl

Re: What could cause an "insert" to choke?
Posted by: David Flores
Date: April 26, 2007 08:11AM

Its funny. Either CGI.PM or DBI must do some sort of pre-processing on passed Parameters, or database "inserts" or something, because I tested all those characters and the only one that caused the "insert" to choke was the newline character. And, oddly enough, all that happened in that case was that that particular column was left blank. The problem I'm having is that the "insert" fails altogether, and MYSQL doesn't accept any data for any column, so it appears as if the student never even took the test.

Now, the only way I've been able to replicate the error myself is by entering a whole bunch of text in the textarea that corresponds to the $furtherinfo variable (I mas mistaken when I said it was the $otherexposure variable). The MYSQL column is a varchar with a maximum length of 200. If I enter more than 200 characters, then the "insert" fails completely.

I guess that could have been the problem, but honestly, I'd be very suprised if that's what happened, as 200 characters is equivalent to about 40 words and I just can't see these students entering that much information into that field. Also, the students I spoke with who had it fail did not describe entering anything nearly that long.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: What could cause an "insert" to choke?
April 26, 2007 08:11AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.