MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Perl

Re: MySQL is slow.
Posted by: Howard Vihon
Date: May 02, 2005 09:10PM

I can see that I do need to give some more info.

1. There is a small amount of data involved. I am converting a binary file to relational format. Could be 5,000 bytes to 500,000 bytes of binary data.

2. My code uses "insert into" for each record of relational data. No parameters are involved - I have not prepared a statement with '?' marks.

3. The code is Object Oriented and I use it on a regular basis to create tables in 9 different database systems(all localhost), including SQL Server 2000, Intersystems Cache, IBM DB2, MySQL, Excel, Access, Oracle 9i.

4. The issue - Any binary file above 30K bytes begins to take an exponential amount of time in MySQL, and you can actually hear the disk churning away. All the other db systems complete their processing in a few seconds, even at the larger end of this spectrum, whereas MySQL can take 5-15 MINUTES.

5. We are probably talking about 3000 Relational records total - a very small amount.

6. I need to add that my work machine, which I am on now, has a slightly different configuration, as follows:
MySQL Server - 4.1.5 gamma via TCP/IP
DBD-mysql 2.9006
DBD-mysqlPP 0.04

7. As I research the MySQL Administrator screens, I notice that I have Debug checked, and am using the Debug libraries. There is even a warning that this will be slow. I will update MySQL Server to the latest recommended version - 4.1.11 I believe - and will make sure that I am not using Debug. Then I will report the results back to this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
May 01, 2005 11:22PM
May 02, 2005 12:45AM
May 02, 2005 04:17AM
Re: MySQL is slow.
May 02, 2005 09:10PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.