MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Proper storage of web content with PHP/MySQL
Posted by: Chuck Cusack
Date: August 10, 2005 03:50PM

Luckily for those reading this, my browser crashed half way through posting,
so you will now get the brief version:

I want to know how big is too big to store content in a database for use on a webpage, and what is the proper way to store large amounts of data in conjunction with a database if not in the database.

Example: How are posts in this (and other) forum stored? Are they stored as blob or longtext entries in a table, or are they stored in files that are referenced in a database?

Maybe this sounds like a dumb question, but I want to be sure I am not slowing down my pages by storing too much in the database. I currently use the filesystem as a sort of database, with directories serving as entries, and files with certain names as entries. I actually use a combination of the filesystem and database--sort fo a hybrid dynamic webpage. This actually works very well, but now I need to store relationships that are bidirectional, and files don't work so well, so I want to put it all in a database.

I would appreciate thoughts from experienced developers on this issue.

Thanks,

Chuck.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Proper storage of web content with PHP/MySQL
August 10, 2005 03:50PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.