MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  PHP

Re: PHP extension=php_mysql.dll not loading; cannot
Posted by: neil.abbott
Date: May 06, 2006 07:27AM

I am a newbie with all this stuff and learning - but slowly!

See below for my rant but for other newbies trying out app builders, phpmagic and the like (excuse the capitals please) WATCH OUT!

After all the things (ranting) below - I had a working system.
Then I installed phpmagic and everything stopped dead.
I was back to the 'unable to connect' error messages again.
I have now spent three hours checking and re-checking inis, PHPRCs, phpinfos, mySQLadmins blah blah blah.

Then I re-read the posts here. Thanks guys! It gave me the hint to check on libmysql.dll in the system32 folder - I copied the file in PHP and went to paste it in to system32. Lo! - Win popped up and said want to replace? I was about to blindly click yes when I saw what I was replacing - a file about 1 year older than the current one. Yes, I reckon PHPmagic was trying to be helpful with putting its own dll in there - one from an older compilation of PHP...

You have been warned.

My rant:
Is it any wonder why open license software gets a bad name? Like others here I have spent hours tracing and tracking where dlls should go or not go, ini files here, there, environment variables everywhere....

The main beef I have is that the downloads of php have differing folder structures and... the help files/install.txt files and faqs are not in sync with them.
eg: 'ensure your extension_dir is set to c:\php\extensions" hah! the latest PHP5.0.11 zip file extracts out to an extension directory of "ext" ! (right next to a folder called 'extras' ...

I too have now seen help files which say "just set your path to C:\php and all will be well... and it wasn't!

And none of the txt files said 'make sure libmysql.dll is in the system32 folder...

What did fix it for me (XPsp2 MySQL5.0 and PHP5.0) was setting the PHPRC environment thingy to my main PHP folder and copying libmysql.dll to system32

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
September 13, 2005 03:53AM
October 06, 2005 12:37PM
October 06, 2005 12:59PM
November 26, 2005 07:15AM
December 25, 2005 12:13PM
Re: PHP extension=php_mysql.dll not loading; cannot
May 06, 2006 07:27AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.