Cascading auto-increment keys and C# DataSets
Posted by: Dave Williams
Date: October 28, 2010 03:40AM

Hi

Does anybody know why the cascading foreign key relationships to auto-incrementing primary keys in a .net DataSet behaves differently with MySQL vs. MS SQL?

I'll flesh it out a bit. I created a parent table with an AI PK, and a child table with an AI PK and a foreign key field to the parent PK. Then I created a cascading relationship between the two, and a single typed DataSet with the same foreign key relationship. The DataSet's auto-increment is set to -1 (the default) to allow to SQL engine to supply the correct incremental values on update. The adapter is configured to 'Refresh the data table' after inserts. On MSSQL, I created 1 parent row and 2 child rows, added them and updated the database and the primary keys change to the next incremental values from the db, and the foreign key relationship holds.

Now with MySQL, I selected the Refresh data table option, but after update the new PK values aren't retrieved, and stay at -1. The parent row is committed to the db, but the child row can't because it doesn't know what the new parent PK is. Strangely enough, when I go back to the dataset wizard the refresh option is unchecked.

Is this expected behavior and does anybody know a workaround? Tried with v5.2.7 and 6.3.5, VS2008 on Win7.

Thanks, Dave

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Cascading auto-increment keys and C# DataSets
October 28, 2010 03:40AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.