MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Sybase

Migration problems
Posted by: David Eder
Date: September 07, 2006 02:01AM

Hi!

The company i work for plans to migrate all databases we use from Sybase ASA Version 8.0.3.5217 to mySQL V5.x! The Application (executed in Windows NT) which accesses the mySQL-Db was created with Powerbuilder 7 Build 10180. We're using myODBC 3.51.12 to connect the mySQL-Server (V5.0.22). I configured the ODBC driver like the manual suggests it. The mySQL server is not specially configured yet (except the sql_mode which is ANSI).

The database itself is already migrated to mySQL without any problem (well, less problems than i thought!), but the PB-Application does some strange things in connection to it! First of all, for some DataWindows i had to change the retrieval argument(s) from number to string in order to get them work - I would like to know why this is necassary - it doesn't sound logically to me and I really dont like that solution (because some DataWindows work fine with number-arguments! But I could'nt figure out any differences in DW-definition). Another problem is, that DW's Update() method does not return a valid value (always -1) - seems like the odbc-driver does not realize that rows were changed - They're all perfectly written to the db!

I heard that there are some Powerbuilder configuration files which handle various things like how values are passed to the ODBC driver, but I could not figure out where they are located and how to write them.

How can I avoid changing too much code in my application? It has to work with both databases (ASA & mySQL).

Thanks in advance!

***EDIT***
HI!

I found out why DataWindows with numeric retrieval-parameters did not work for Datawindows in connection to mysql:

There's a file called pbodb70.ini which handles various odbc-driver settings! So if you connect a mysql-db, just create a section called [MySQL] and put PBSupportBindSelect='NO' in it and it works fine! There's also a setting for update/insertable dw's (called PBSupportBindUpdate!)

hope this helps!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2006 03:13AM by David Eder.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Migration problems
September 07, 2006 02:01AM
May 19, 2007 10:06PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.