MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

Problems getting carriage returns from Access to MySQL
Posted by: Craig Coley
Date: March 01, 2005 11:54AM

We currently have an Access database with a few text fields that store information in list format. Namely, something that looks like this:
1. blah blah
2. blah blah blah
etc.

All stored in one field in the database. Access does not seem to have any problems storing the carriage returns into one field. However we want this information viewable on the web. I am trying to convert the database to MySQL, and eventually have the data both viewable and editable through a web interface. Now, what I have been doing is exporting the data from Access to Excel, as there are quite a few fields that we don't want brought over to the MySQL database. So I use Excel to remove certain fields from the table, then save as a tab delimited text file. I then use the MySQL command LOAD DATA INFILE to get the data from the text file into the database. When I delete all data from the text file that is in the list format illustrated above, it imports just fine. However, when I leave that data in the text file (Excel automatically surrounds the text with double quotes), MySQL will not import the data using LOAD DATA INFILE. I've tested it by taking out the carriage returns from the list field, and this seems to work without a hitch. I've tried importing the data with carriage returns into fields of type BLOB and TEXT, but neither seems to work. So, my question is, is there any way to maintain the formatting of the text in list format and keep the carriage returns, but store that data in a MySQL database? Have any of you tried something similar using any of the conversion utilities out there? Do some work better than others? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Problems getting carriage returns from Access to MySQL
March 01, 2005 11:54AM
May 16, 2005 11:55AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.